Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Debate

Debate is wonderful. Plain and simple. It's the formulation of ideas by two individuals or teams which clash head on. It's truly a beautiful thing. I am certainly not a proponent of conflict. Yet this sort of conflict injures no one (in most cases) and educates all. But, when debate becomes two ignorant sides educating a closed-minded audience, debate loses its purpose. Debate is only beautiful when the two sides and the people watching gain insight into issues and are able to better get a better feel for their opinions. Me and my debate partner claimed 4th place at a recent tournament out of 28 teams. By this achievement, me and my partner have now earned an invitation to our league's national competition. It was by my love for argumentation that my skills developed, and now, after only my first year of competition, I am competing at the top level. I hope you too can find a love for debate, even if you can't compete.

No comments:

Post a Comment